- Abu al-Hasan al-Shushtari: Songs of Love and Devotion. Preface by Michael Sells. Classics of Western Spirituality Series. Mahwah, NJ: Paulist, 2009.
- "Prophecies of Apocalypse in 16th-century Morisco Writings and the Wondrous Tale of Tamim al-Dari." Medieval Encounters: Jewish, Christian and Muslim Culture in Confluence and Dialogue 13:3 (2007), 566-601.
- Reading the Mystical Signs in the Songs of Abu al-Hasan al-Shushtari" in Muwashshahat: Proceedings of the International Conference on Arabic and Hebrew Strophic Poetry and its Romance Parallels, School of Oriental & African Studies, London, 8-10 October 2004." London: RNR Books and School of Oriental and African Studies, Music Department, 2006 (23-35).
- "The Mystical Language of Daily Life: Vernacular Sufi Poetry and the Songs of Abu al-Hasan al-Shushtari." Exemplaria 17:1(2005): 1-32.
- "That Still-flickering Light: Reading and Teaching the Women Poets of al-Andalus." La Corónica, 32:1 (2003)79-87
- "Beastly Colloquies: On Plagiarism and Pluralism in Two Medieval Disputations Between Animals and Men" Comparative Literature Studies 39.3 (2002): 179-200.
- "Anselm Turmeda: The Visionary Humanism of a Muslim Convert and Catalan Prophet" IN The Foreigner in the Middle Ages. Ed. Albrecht Classen, New York: Routledge, 2002 (172-191).
- "Petrus Alfonsi" IN Cambridge History of Arabic Literature: Al-Andalus. Eds. María Rosa Menocal and Raymond Scheindlin. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, 2000. (282-291)
- Cultural and literary relations between Muslims, Christians and Jews in medieval Spain
- Hispano-Arabic poetry
- Al-Andalus in the contemporary Arab political and cultural imagination
Honors and Awards:
- 2009 American Institute for Magreb Studies (AIMS) Research Grant (Morocco)
- 2006 CUA Provost's Award for Research and Scholarship
- 2000-2001 Fulbright Senior Research Fellowship (Morocco)
- 2000 CASA III fellow (Center for Arabic Studies Abroad) at the American University in Cairo, Egypt